Are you of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent?

Support for you

We are committed to providing a culturally safe service response for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

We recognise that family violence is not and has never been a part of Aboriginal culture.

We can help if: 
  • someone close to you is making you feel afraid or unsafe such as your partner, ex-partner, family member or carer
  • you are a child or young person who doesn’t feel safe or cared for
  • you are at risk of using abusive or controlling behaviour or you need help with these behaviours at home or in a relationship
  • you are worried about the safety of someone you know
  • you have experienced family violence, including controlling behaviour like someone monitoring where you go, who you visit, or how you spend money
  • you need help with parenting, or you are worried about the wellbeing or development of a child or young person
People who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander can choose to be supported by an Aboriginal worker at The Orange Door or be referred to an Aboriginal service. 

We have a team that works with local Aboriginal services and communities to meet the needs of families and support Aboriginal self-determination. 

How can The Orange Door help?

We can help by:  
  • listening to you and hearing what your worries are
  • working with you to identify the help and support you need
  • supporting you with the wellbeing and development of children and young people
  • helping you make a safety plan to keep you and your children safe
  • connecting you to services that can help, such as counselling, accommodation, family violence support, mental health and drug and alcohol services, parenting support groups, services for children, financial help, or legal assistance
  • supporting you to access funding for basic living expenses and other costs
  • connect you with services if you want help to change your violent or controlling behaviour
We understand that people who need family violence or family services may also be dealing with other issues, such as:
  • financial
  • legal
  • health
  • substance misuse
  • housing
  • employment 
  • education
We can connect you with services that will help and support you with these issues too.

How can you access services?

There are multiple ways to access help and support from The Orange Door, including face-to-face, and via phone or email. Tell us if you have special requirements, for example if you use communication aids or require an interpreter, including Auslan. You don’t need a referral. 

If you would prefer to use a specialist Aboriginal service, you can contact The Orange Door and ask for the details of your local service.

If you are in the Bayside Peninsula area, you can also access a dedicated service fully staffed by an Aboriginal workforce which will walk alongside you until you have the right services in place. The service is operated by the Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA).

For support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week you can also call:  
The Orange Door is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday (closed public holidays). Out-of-hours support is available.
Custom Order